Creating a More Sustainable OfficeThursday, 29th July 2021
Blog by Rebecca Lawton, Marketing Manager at Koderly
Over many years, as part of our wider commitments to Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR), we’ve continued to make changes to reduce our environmental impact, creating a more sustainable office and having a positive impact on the environment.
Did You Know?
- The world has already lost 80% of its forests, and the world could run out of rain forests by 2100. (The World Counts)
- The temperature on Earth has risen around 1.18°C, mostly occurring in the last 40 years. The increase has been driven largely by increased carbon dioxide emissions and other human activities. The past seven years have been the warmest, with 2016 and 2020 being the warmest years on record. (Nasa)
- There are several garbage islands floating in the ocean, made up mostly of plastic and debris. The most well-known is the Great Pacific Garbage Patch. (National Geographic)
- Greater Manchester has committed to becoming carbon neutral by 2038, reducing CO2 by at least 50% during 2020-2025. Manchester is one of the first cities in the world to adopt science-based carbon reduction targets. (Manchester Climate)
Aside from individuals making personal changes, like recycling more or using more plant-based products, there are steps businesses can take to ensure that we’re doing our bit to help have a positive impact on the planet, and our colleagues play a vital role in driving positive change at Koderly. Here are some steps that we’ve taken in recent years.
Use less electric, and more renewable energy
- In 2013, we added a 36kW Solar PV system to the roof of our office at Windsor Works, creating a renewable energy source
- We recently removed all electric heaters from our office
- We installed energy-saving LED lighting through our offices
- We reduced the number of on-premises servers from six to two, reducing our energy consumption
- We added motion sensors to the lights in all communal areas in our building to save energy
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!
- We recently moved all documentation and processes online, significantly reducing our paper consumption
- We make use of the Nespresso recycle scheme for coffee pods, which help to keep us coding
- We’ve significantly reduced our plastic waste by replacing single-use plastic water bottles with refillable alternatives
- We have recycling bins in each of our three kitchen areas and encourage employees to recycle properly
- We donate old office equipment and furniture to local schools and charities
Reduce Carbon Emission
- We operate a Cycle to Work scheme, encouraging employees to purchase bikes and ride to work, reducing vehicle emissions
- We’ve permanently increased home working, reducing vehicle emissions and energy consumption in the office
- We recently returned our company car
- We created a garden area for our employees, adding grass, trees, and shrubs
At Koderly, we will continue to explore new opportunities and initiatives to reduce our environmental impact, and we regularly discuss suggestions from employees during our quarterly Stewardship Council meetings.
In the coming months, we’ll be installing new and improved bicycle storage facilities and exploring opportunities to install charging points for electric vehicles.