Member spotlight: Deborah Walker, Head of Inward Investment Financial, Professional and Business Services, MIDAS (Greater Manchester’s Inward Investment Agency)Wednesday, 14th July 2021
Each week we get to know one of our members a little better. This week it’s Deborah Walker, Head of Inward Investment Financial, Professional and Business Services, MIDAS (Greater Manchester’s Inward Investment Agency)…
- Career highlight? In this role – seeing Greater Manchester’s meteoric rise as a city to scale for Global FinTechs as part of the Financial Services Revolution.
- Why do you love pro-manchester? Best events in Greater Manchester, Connectivity, topical and member focused.
- What are you reading at the moment? I love a good crime drama so inevitably have a James Patterson or similar on the go – at the moment it is an Ann Cleeves (creator of Vera) called The Darkest Evening.
- What are you watching at the moment? Cobra Kai – in a vain attempt to understand what my 10 year old son is going on about.
- Favourite band or artist? It should really be one of the Manchester megas like Oasis or the Stone Roses but to my shame it’s the Artic Monkeys!
- Hidden / Useless Talent? I can do an impression of a tortoise eating lettuce!
- Knowing what you know now, what advice would you give your 18-year-old self? Invest in tech like Apple ($1,000 worth of Apple shares 33 years ago, that investment today would be worth $204,000) – is it insider trading if you have a time machine????
- Favourite meeting place in Manchester?The iconic Midland Hotel – where Mr Rolls met Mr Royce
- Favourite place to visit in Manchester? I love the Natural History Museum and it has become a go to destination for us as a family – who doesn’t love a good Mummy!
- Best concert / gig / performance you’ve been to? Not terribly politically correct now but Michael Jackson in Bucharest not long after the execution of Ceausescu – the audience full of young people shaking their keys as a symbol of defiance – felt more like a freedom rally than a concert and really reminds us of the daily freedoms and benefits that we all take for granted.
- If you could spend a day in someone else’s shoes, whose would they be? Why? I’d like to be a zoo keeper for a day.
- What are you looking forward to most in the next 12 months? Doh – a holiday…. isn’t everyone???!!!
- Do you write a blog that you’d like us to share? No and no-one would read it…. But you can find our official insights here https://www.investinmanchester.com/media-and-events/insights