Member Spotlight: Lee Ali, Founder & Director – e5 InteractiveTuesday, 12th January 2021
Each week we get to know one of our members a little better. this week it’s Lee Ali, Founder & Director – e5 Interactive…
- Favourite quote or saying?
“Make sure you have been inside the box before you think outside of the box”…This is a phrase that I coined a long time ago. The solution sometimes is already “inside the box”, and you don’t always need to spend unnecessary time thinking outside the box.
- Career highlight?
Been so many but three really stand out for me –
- Working on live television and helping to launch a gameshow in the US – once you have worked in live tv, you can handle pretty much anything that life throws at you – it taught me a lot about thinking on my feet.
- Taking a simple idea of proactive face-to-face engagement at trade show exhibitions, and building that into an award winning global business and sustaining steady growth over the past 14 years (before Covid hit us anyway) and
- creating E5 Interactive during lockdown with another co-founder which is a whole different way of managing a business and set up during a very challenging economic environment.
- Why do you love pro-manchester?
It’s local, provides access to a great network of professional service-based businesses and lots of great knowledge-based events by members for members.
- What are you reading at the moment?
Time to Think – Nancy Kline – I have been reading a lot through the lock down period, and this one book has really stood out for me. Nancy promotes the idea of creating “Thinking Environments” a model of human interaction that dramatically improves the way people think, and thus the way they work and live. Listening – the quality of people’s attention for each other – is at the core of this method. Fascinating read if you want to have more productive meetings, solve business problems, create motivated teams or build stronger relationships.
- What are you watching at the moment?
Masterchef – The Professionals. I am a passionate foodie, and it’s always great to get some inspiration from experienced chefs
- Favourite meeting place in Manchester?
Before lockdown, it was Porter and Cole on High St, Northern Quarter, a really cosy and quiet café, with a great environment for meetings.
- Favourite lockdown activity?
Running – have ran over 500km since lockdown and taking walks in countryside
- Most creative meal that you cook?
I love spicy food so Thai and Indian Chicken/Lamb/Beef dishes are always at the forefront but nothing beats a spicy hot veggie omelette for breakfast.
- Most creative thing you’ve seen on a video call during the lockdown?
Nothing really has stood out for me, been too busy focused on conversations I guess, if I have to pick one, then probably the live Zoom background of the Northern Lights.
- Most mundane task you’ve completed since being in lockdown?
Organising my files and folders on my laptop and releasing so much hard disk space! Almost like having a new laptop
- Do you write a blog that you’d like us to share?
- What are you looking forward to doing again the most after lockdown?
Getting back to managing exhibition projects onsite, face-to-face meetings and travelling the world! I am lucky enough I get to combine all three in my business and I really have missed doing what I love!