Member Spotlight: Will English, Client Services Direcor, one Brand MagicWednesday, 24th June 2020
Each week we get to know one of our members slightly better. This week we find out more about Will English, Client Services Direcor, one Brand Magic
- Favourite quote or saying
Pretty much any line from ‘Withnail & I’.
- Career highlight
Hosting a live panel at the Soccerex global football convention in Manchester, discussing brand sponsorship activation. Daunting but a massive buzz.
- Why do you love pro-manchester?
The city’s place on the global business map is because of organisations like pro-manchester. It’s an amazing place in which to live and work, and pro-Manchester embodies that spirit.
- What are you reading at the moment?
‘Kill your friends’ by John Niven. A dark (pitch black) and hilarious story about the ‘90s music scene.
- What are you watching at the moment?
The Last Dance on Netflix. I was in Chicago as a broke student when the Bulls completed the ‘Three-peat repeat’ in 1998 – the show brought back some incredible memories.
- Favourite meeting place in Manchester
Back when meetings weren’t on Zoom, I loved Cultureplex – the old Ducie Street Warehouse. A massive, interesting space brilliantly renovated.
- Favourite lockdown activity
Getting to spend more time with the kids (4 years and 10 months). Makes you realise what saints the teachers are.
- Most creative meal that you cook
I try recreating great meals we have on holiday. Most are epic failures, but I can do a mean steak!
- Most creative thing you’ve seen on a video call during the lockdown
Early in lockdown, we pitched to and won a new client. A few shaky moments, but the creative work looked fantastic despite a few technical glitches!
We also held a retirement party with 30+ people – toasts, speeches, tears, the lot! Bittersweet to see out a long-standing colleague’s career in those circumstances.
- Most mundane task you’ve completed since being in lockdown
Completing timesheets is dull no matter where you are (don’t tell accounts I said that).
- Do you write a blog that you’d like us to share?
Sadly I haven’t got the time.
- What are you looking forward to doing again the most after lockdown?
Draught beer. And seeing the legacy of lockdown unfold – the crisis is terrible but there are a lot of positives to come from it. Community spirit, creative ways of working and a healthier work-life balance.