GMCC Roundtable event – How to influence a regulator…….
15th December 2022, 9:41 am
How can competition work better for businesses in Greater Manchester and the North West? In conversation with Sarah Cardell, Interim Chief Executive of the Competition and Markets Authority
The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) is the UK’s principal competition and consumer protection authority. We exist to help people, businesses and the UK economy by promoting competitive markets and tackling unfair behaviour. Our work has never been more important, given the role that competitive markets play in meeting cost-of-living challenges, supporting growth and innovation across the UK economy.
Now the CMA is expanding into the North West with a new office in Greater Manchester.
In this session, chaired by GMCC Chief Executive Clive Memmott, CMA Interim Chief Executive Sarah Cardell will talk through why the CMA has opened an office in Greater Manchester and what this signals for businesses and people in the region. Sarah will outline the outcomes the CMA wants to help deliver for people, businesses and the whole UK economy.
In turn this is your opportunity to tell us what you think of our plans; and voice your views on:
· the type of business support and actions you believe are necessary to enable local businesses to ride the storm of current economic turbulence – to pivot and succeed
· what is holding businesses back
– Clive Memmott opens with introduction/ opening remarks (10 mins)
– Sarah Cardell introduction – brief speech introducing the work of the CMA covering the following points:
i) CMA – who we are/ what we do, drawing out touch points for local businesses/ Greater Manchester and the NW
ii) CMA – Greater Manchester expansion – why we chose to locate in Greater Manchester, what our direction of travel is in terms of expansion, drawing out what this signals for businesses/ consumers in the region
iii) CMA priorities – moving on to proposed priorities – drawing out relevance for local businesses and inviting views/ insights on the challenges local businesses are facing
– Discussion inviting views from attendees
– Clive Memmott closing remarks
To book a place register here