What Is Net Zero & Why Is It Important To Your Business?Monday, 22nd March 2021
Guest blog by Thermatic Energy services
The future is net zero!
Going carbon neutral isn’t just great for the environment, but it can have a massive impact on your profitability too. A net zero future has so many benefits from operational cost savings to greater resilience and an improved reputation amongst your customers and supply chain.
We are so proud that in June 2019 the UK became the first major economy in the world to pass laws to end its contribution to global warming by 2050.
To date, the UK has managed to reduce greenhouse emissions by 42% whilst growing the economy by over 70% and has placed clean growth at the heart of its industrial strategy.
What Does Net Zero Mean For Your Business?
Put simply, net zero refers to the balance between the amount of greenhouse gas produced and the amount removed from the atmosphere. We reach net zero when the amount we add is no more than the amount taken away.
The net zero legislation has bound all UK organisations to act in order to achieve carbon neutrality by 2050. Every single business must reduce their emissions and balance the remainder via energy efficiency measures, carbon offsetting programmes and the use of renewable energy.
How Are Emissions Credited To Your Business?
The emissions credited to your business can be classified in three ways:
- Emissions generated directly by your company or via interests controlled by your organisation.
- Indirect emissions generated from the generation of heat, steam, and heat that your business uses.
- Emissions produced indirectly from your business’s activities.
The Net Zero Challenge
It can be a complicated journey with long-term targets and trying to get your head around the best route to take for the benefit of your business – making this a reality can be a real challenge.
Where to start? Understanding your baseline – knowing what your current greenhouse gas emissions are is a great way to start.
Setting targets – think about what models to use and how you can establish long-term targets in line with your business’s long-term mission and vision.
Spot the benefits – how will net zero benefit your business throughout your long-term journey?
Technology – pinpoint the right tech to use during your net zero journey to help optimise your carbon reduction and cost.
What Benefits Can Net Zero Bring To Your Business?
Overcoming these challenges might seem a struggle at first, but that is where we can help. By overcoming these hurdles, the benefits of becoming a net zero business are game-changing.
- Reputation – according to a recent survey 55% of respondents reported being willing to pay more for products/services from companies committed to “positive social and environmental impact”. Which is a great way to improve your bottom line.
- Profit – you’ll save money on operational costs, improve processes, mitigate vs future carbon & energy pricing and you can also generate new revenue streams.
- Resilience & Security – you’ll have less reliance on the grid, and you’ll have greater resilience and lower risk.
- Sustainability – will contribute to your future planning, direction and success of your business sustainability.
Below are just some of the areas that can help move your business towards being carbon neutral:
Rock down to – electric avenue! Switch to electric vehicles and electric heating.
Green thinking – look at ways throughout your business where you could reduce your environmental impact.
CCS (carbon capture & storage) – prevents 90% of carbon dioxide emissions from fossil fuels from entering the atmosphere and has carbon-negative potential. For more information visit – The Carbon Capture & Storage Association.
Battery storage & onsite power generation – if you want to reduce your reliance on the National Grid adopting these technologies will help, although generating your own power and installing and developing your own battery storage is expensive. But it will give you more control, improve your resilience and will help move you towards net zero. You could sell your surplus energy to the gird, which could be invested in sustainability projects.
How Can Thermatic Energy Services Help My Business Achieve Carbon Neutrality?
Every step you take – we’ll be supporting you on your journey towards net zero status, giving you powerful data, innovation and the best customer service. We can offer your organisation:
- Vast industry knowledge
- Bespoke data collection & reporting to generate actionable insights
- Delivering energy efficiency projects
- Reduce your energy consumption
- Energy efficiency projects
- Green energy procurement
- Offsetting carbon
We’ll work closely with your entire business to create and monitor your net zero strategy. It’s a fine balance between immediate cost-savings and investing in projects and tech that will make your net zero future a reality.
Speak To Us Today – Kickstart Your Journey Towards Net Zero
We’ll give you all the support you need to ensure you each your net zero goals. Speak to us today on 0161 543 4131 or email us on email@example.com to find out more.