pro-manchester Skills vision for 2020Tuesday, 22nd October 2019
Blog by Claire Turnbull, Events and Marketing Manager
The Skills Committee consists of pro-manchester members representing secondary, further & higher education providers, employers in industry sectors which are facing skills shortages, training providers, and the recruitment sector. The Group includes representatives from businesses and organisations of all sizes and from all areas of Greater Manchester.
The pro-manchester skills committee is committed to fully engaging with the business sector, recruiters and educators (both school and adult level) to help close the skills gap and provide an insight into the challenges currently facing employers and education providers.
The aim of the strategy is to:
- Educate, inform and support
- Breakdown barriers and facilitate conversations in a safe, constructive and respectful way
To accomplish the vision, the skills committee will focus on 3 goals for 2020:
Transferable skills and employee capabilities
- Exploring the core set of skills and abilities, which can be applied to a wide range of different jobs and industries.
- Exploring an organisation’s leadership, values, traditions and beliefs, and the behaviours and attitudes of the people in it.
The future of the Workplace
- Exploring demographic upheaval, digital technology, disruption to business models, and new employee expectation
We shall do this by:
- Strengthening connections between Education and Businesses through various means including seminars, business speakers, etc. in order to help education providers teach current skills and better prepare students for successful transition to further education/work.
- Identifying the main issues and challenges facing the business community and educational providers, taking steps to help address them and measure progress over time.
- Acting as a signposting service; sharing external practice examples, initiatives and programmes.
- Collaborating with educational and training partners to increase available resources, so that employer and worker needs are met.